I recently hauled the NYX Avant Pop palette in Nouveau Chic so today we’re going to take a bit of a closer look at this little gem.
First, there are three palettes in the Avant Pop line and while the other two have some fun colors, they didn’t swatch quite the same in store. In fact, of the three, Nouveau Chic felt almost like a different formula. I may still try the other two because they weren’t bad but I’m not going to stalk them in store like I did for this one (it was perpetually sold out!).
All swatches are done with three swirls of my fingers in the pan of product and then a single swipe on my bare arm
A pink frosty/metallic highlight shade.
(no liner or mascara because I had some eye irritation that was not caused by the eye shadow in question. Dang expired mascara.) From the Avant Pop (AP) palette: 6 – as a base, to blend and as a brow bone highlight. 2- transition shade. 1 – lid shade. 5 – outer corner. L’Oreal Brow Plumping Mascara.
2. A warm peachy matte shade that is perfect for a transition shade. I used this as a transition in almost every look but didn’t do an eye look with this shade as the focus.
3. A gorgeous warm purple that is a matte base with very fine gold sparkles.
From the AP palette: 6 – base, blending and highlight. 2 – transition and to blend the lower lash line. 3 – lid shade. 9 – used as a smokey liner. 10 – line the lower lash line. 4 – inner corner. L’Oreal Brow Gel. Urban Decay Zero – waterline and tightline. Benefit Rollerlash mascara.
4. A frosty/metallic pale lilac shade. This translates a little bit lighter in real life than it appears in the pan. It works as a gorgeous highlight shade.
From the AP palette: 6 – base, blending and highlight. 2 – transition and blending the lower lash line. 8 – outer corner. 4 – lid shade. 1 – inner corner. KVD ink liner in Trooper. UD Zero to tightline and in the waterline. UD Freak in the waterline. From the KVD Mi Vida Loca Palette: Vinyl – lower lash line. NYX Color Mascara in Perfect Pear – lower lashes along with Benefit Rollerlash (Rollerlash on the top lashes). LOreal brow mascara.
5. A slightly blue toned metallic pewter shade. This is the only shadow that creased on me but it was still fairly minimal creasing.
AP palette: 6 – base, highlight and blending. 2- transition and blending of the lower lash line. 8 – crease and blending the lower lash line. 9 – outer corner. 5 – lid. 7 – inner 1/3 of lid. 1 – inner corner. KVD Trooper ink liner. UD Zero to tightline and in the waterline. Benefit Rollerlash mascara.
6. A matte cream color with a yellow base (huzzah for a yellow base!). I used this as a base/highlight/blending shade in every single one of these looks. I would buy this color in a single if it were available. It’s perfection.
6 – base/highlight/lid shade. 2 – transition and blending lower lash line. 8 – outer corner and to line the lower lash line. 1 – inner corner. KVD Trooper liner. UD Zero to tightline. Rimmel Nude Liner in the waterline. Rollerlash. Nuance brow powder.
7. A shimmery/almost metallic golden peach. I feel like a broken record but this shade is gorgeous too.
Come on, can you even with this shade?! 6- highlight/blend/base. 2 – transition and blending lower lash line. 3 – outer corner. 7 – lid. 9 – to soften the liner a bit. KVD Trooper liner. Benefit Rollerlash mascara. Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade in Medium Brown.
8. A warm leaning deep/medium matte brown. I love warm brown shades. So much. But for some reason I never took a photo of this as a lid shade. Silly me! It performs beautifully and works great in the crease, the outer corner or as a nice smokey eye.
9. Sometimes this shade looks like a gray and sometimes it almost has a hint of brown or purple. It’s a nice deep matte shade in any case.
6 – blending, highlight and base. 2 – transition and blending the lower lash line. 8 – crease. 9 – lid and lower lash line. 1 – inner corner. KVD Trooper liner. UD Zero to tightline. Maybelline Master Drama Chromatics Eyeliner in Plum Persuasion and Mighty Magenta in the waterline. Rollerlash mascara.
10. A deep shimmery olive color. I hate this one! Just kidding! I just thought maybe you were bored of reading how great these eyeshadow shades are. This one is ALSO GREAT. It did give a little bit of fall out but nothing major.
6 – blending/base/highlight. 2 – transition. 10 – inner and outer lid. The center of the lid is Jordana Made to Last Liquid Eyeshadow in Uphold Gold. I’m kind of “meh” about it. Mabelline green and copper eye liner on the water line and rollerlash mascara.
I’m not going to bore you by going on and on about this palette. I’ll just say that I’ve enjoyed using this palette more than any other palette I’ve purchased in the last year or so. I have zero complaints and am seriously considering buying a back up so in the unlikely event of something happening to this one, I won’t be without this palette. It’s that good.
This palette retails for around $17.00. I bought mine at Ulta.